Earlier last month, two University of Miami engineering students were killed when the driver of a Porsche hit the couple as they were almost across the five lane road. According to a report by NBC Miami.com, the two students were killed in Pinecrest, near 68th Court and Kendall Drive. The two students were right in front of their apartment when they were hit after almost making it across the five lane road.
Police suspect that the driver was driving carelessly when she struck the two students. The Mayor of Pinecrest released the following statement: “Tragedies happen when you’re not paying attention with both eyes on the road at all times, so this should be wake-up call for everybody.”
While the driver did eventually stop the Porsche, she did so a block or two down the road. The driver has not yet been charged, but police say that that may change as more details are uncovered.
Walking in the City Can Be Extremely Dangerous
This example sadly illustrates that walking on our State’s streets can be a dangerous endeavor. Sometimes drivers are not paying as much as they should, and this is when tragic accidents like this occur. While not all accidents can be avoided, pedestrians can and should take care when they head out to ensure that they reach their destination safely.
When you are out and walking on the road, make sure that you follow these easy safety tips:
– Wear bright clothes when you are walking out at night, it makes it easier for drivers to see you.
– When sidewalks are available, make sure to use them. Drivers assume that pedestrians are walking on the sidewalk, not walking on the road.
– Make sure you only cross the road at designated crosswalks.
– When a driver approaches, try to make eye contact. If you can be sure that a driver sees you, then you are much safer.
– Try to be as predictable as possible when walking on sidewalks and streets. Don’t be abrupt, as this may surprise drivers.
Injured in an Auto Accident?
If you or a loved one has been injured in an auto accident, you may be entitled to monetary damages to compensate you for your injuries or loss. On occasion drivers fail to follow the rules of the road, violating the duty of care they agree to follow by using public roads.
To find out what rights you have, and to determine if there are any time restrictions in place, you should consult with an experienced accident attorney immediately. With an attorney’s assistance you will better be able to navigate the system and determine what course of action is best for you and your family.
Click here to contact a skilled and passionate Broward County accident attorney, or call 954-961-5100.
See Related Blog Posts:
– Porsche Driver Loses Control and Kills Two Homeless Men
– Broward County Sheriff’s Deputy Accidentally Runs Over Pedestrian